Thursday, May 5, 2011

How's Your Heart...

Yesterday, right in the middle of a conversation about something completely unimportant and entirely unmemorable, someone asked me "How's your heart, Jamie?"

And in an instant, that conversation turned important and memorable.

I didn't know how to respond at first. I was so taken by surprise by the unexpected intimacy of the question, so it took me a minute or two to feel my answer.




I said my heart is good. Alive. Nourished. Awake. Full of amazing love and longing for more.

My heart does so much for me...it is me. It's my hour of hula hooping and long runs with my big bad wolf Max. It's my baked risotto no matter what time of night you beg me for it. It's my skyscraper-heel days and barefoot nights...but mostly my barefoot nights. It's flowers in my hair and sand in my car. It's my road trip on a whim and let's stay in tonight. It's a stray tendril and a nuzzle and a nibble. It's forgotten bikini tops and late hammock nights wondering if the birds in my backyard have always sung to me at midnight.

Yes. My heart is good. And it's getting better every day. How's yours?

Beautiful girl pinned here.