Friday, April 29, 2011

A Girl and A Guitar...

She asked if she could borrow his guitar. Just for a week, and she promised to guard it with her life. They both smiled then - her brightly and him wryly - because they both knew she guarded everything with her life for the first hour or so. 

And then she lost interest. It had happened that way with his iPad, his tennis racquet from college, his love, and all of his Safran Foer books. One signed.

He didn't mind. Not really. She was a gypsy at heart who gave herself and all she owned straight from it. If your possessions were in the mix during her donations...well, then, her apologies were epic and hypnotic.

She made you forget all about what you once owned, and dream of owning what you couldn't have. She was priceless, that one.




So he said goodbye to his guitar and wondered where it would end up. Because he always gave in to her. Always. Even when she couldn't give back.

Exactly one week later, she showed up at the pub where he played once weekly for hours and tips and to remind himself of the artist he still was buried under all those hedge funds he managed. A few of her fingers were bandaged and her gaze flitted everywhere and nowhere nervously. 

He smiled, as he always did when he caught sight of her magic, and smiled wider when he saw his guitar on her back.

"How'd it go?" he asked, reaching for it and wishing he was reaching for her.

"Do you have a second?" she asked back, walking toward the corner of the bar where she knew he kept his things when he was there. Knowing he would follow her.

She sang softly but bravely - like her life depended on it - as those Hello Kitty'd fingers of hers strummed as best they could with only a week of practice but a lifetime of soul. 

I'm gonna wear you down
I'm gonna make you see
I'm gonna get to you
You're gonna give into me

I'm gonna start a fire
You're gonna feel the heat
I'm gonna burn for you
You're gonna melt for me

You're gonna take my hand
Whisper the sweetest words
And if you're ever sad
I'll make you laugh
I'll chase the hurt

My heart is set on you
I don't want no one else
And if you don't want me
I guess I'll be all by myself...

And then she took the guitar from around her neck and gave it back. Folded her hands in her lap and tried to breathe. Searched his face for an answer. For anything.

He couldn't move. He didn't want to move. Because if he moved and somehow broke this moment and lost her again...well, then, that would be his final loss.



He shifted closer to her, almost into her, and finished her song in that raspy whispering baritone that made her forget all about him being a hedge fund manager. And remember that he'd been hers forever.

I'll use my eyes to draw you in
Until I'm under your skin
I'll use my lips, I'll use my arms
Come on, come on, come on
Give into me
...

She smiled. "You liked my song?"

He smiled back. "I like you."

And they went on giving into each other for the rest of their lives, singing each other awake and to sleep. And she went on losing things - his car keys, his replacement iPad, a very good watch - but this time, she guarded his love with her life. For the first hour and every single one after that.

Just felt like telling a story today! Have a blindingly beautiful weekend, my beautiful friends! You deserve it! If you'd like to hear the song I've played a million times, it's here. Art from here and here.