Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Ora Jean...

I've never told you about Ora Jean, have I?
 
She was only my very favorite person in my world. She taught me everything I needed to know to be...me.




Like how drizzling butter on radishes turns them to candy. How to make the perfect Lemon Meringue pie and how to wear lipstick, and that the secret to both is patience. She taught me to accept the invitation even when I want to decline, because showing up matters. That it's not just about the writing of thank you notes; everything in life begins and ends with gratitude. 

She taught me that it's much more fun to dust when Anne Murray is playing on the record player. That if you marry the first person you think you love, you'll miss out on what a broken heart feels like. And that broken hearts can be sewn back together, so keep a needle and thread close by; they'll look a lot like your family and best friends.




Ora Jean was my grandmother. She passed away when I was twenty. I miss her every moment of every day. Still.

I write with her spirit here, a new site I've named after my very favorite person in my world. Still.

I hope you like reading Ora Jean as much as I love writing over there! It makes me feel bolder and somehow closer to my grandmother when I write those little pieces of me. Hearts found among Alyssa Boisson's pins.