Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Back To High School...

I went to a party once where the host rented out a high school gym for the night. Our only instructions were to show up in something we would've worn in our high school P.E. class. Brilliant, right?

Luckily, I've kept - and worn to death, almost! - my high school gym class tee. I unearthed a tiny pair of cutoffs and a pair of graffiti-covered Converse, and I was ready.

We walked in that night, and I have to tell you I felt butterflies! There's something about high school events that still send me. The gym was lit with spotlights, the floor covered in wrestling mats and strewn with pillows and cushions, cuties trying to climb the ropes and shoot baskets and push each other along on those little scooters, gorgeous people resting their drinks on balance beams. It was delightful.



We played Red Rover. Red Rover, Red Rover, Send Jamie right over! My never-fail tactic was to run straight at the hottest guy with my arms outstretched in a hug. Of course, he'd drop the people on either side of him and automatically without really thinking return the hug, and then I'd get to take him back with me. Brilliant, right?

As the night went on, more of the best parts of high school came to play. Like sneaking out for a smoke. Old dance moves that were suddenly new again. Meeting by chance in the dark hallway and stealing a kiss. 

The dark hallways were just as wonderful as I remembered.

Have you been to any incredibly-themed parties lately? Will you share your favorites with me? I'm thinking of throwing one soon and I want it to be unforgettable. Rings found here.